In response to Pope Francis’ Encyclical ‘Laudato Si’ on Care for Our Common Home, this group has been working on developing a parish-based response to the encyclical through prayer, education and direct actions. Pope Francis asks us, “What kind of world do we want to leave to those who come after us, to the children who are now going up?” Our parish addresses many of the issues in the encyclical regarding assistance to the poor, disadvantaged and hungry. This group addresses issues primarily dealing with global warming and preservation and conservation of natural resources. The main goal of the group is to reduce the parish’s impact on the environment and to encourage and assist individual parishioners on reducing their impact as well. In ‘Laudato Si’ we hear, “Climate change is a global problem… It represents one of the principal challenges facing humanity in our day”. The church, our church, Saint Dennis can lead by doing.
Contact: Kathleen Coleman
Saint Dennis Care of Creation Team Charter
Bringing Laudato Si’ to life at Saint Dennis
“Living our vocation to be protectors of God’s handiwork is essential to a life of virtue; it is not an optional or a secondary aspect of our Christian experience.”
“There is an urgent need to develop policies so that, in the next few years, the emission of carbon dioxide and other highly polluting gases can be drastically reduced, for example, substituting for fossil fuels and developing sources of renewable energy.” 
Encourage greater personal and shared commitment by the Saint Dennis community to Care for Creation, beginning with steps to reduce the causes of global climate change and promote conservation and protection of natural resources.
- Pray: The first step is to open ourselves to the loving presence of God. Come, Holy Spirit, Come.
- Educate ourselves and others about Global Warming and the Catholic Social teaching.
- Advocate: Learn to talk about global warming. Write and/or call your members of Congress. (Tell our politicians that inaction is no longer acceptable). Form a Letter Writing Brigade
- Support one another in our individual and common witness on behalf of God’s Creation.
- Commit to personal action such as personal changes to reduce Fossil fuel use.
- Help the Parish make changes to reduce Fossil Fuel use and promote conservation and protection of natural resources.
As we work as a team we can find strength and encouragement from each other. We can contribute in areas that interest us and benefit from the interests of others. We can have fun together as we help find solutions to this important dilemma.